Monday, June 28, 2021

Banned at BoardGameGeek

For some years, I have been participating/posting/discussing gaming issues at the large online site BoardGameGeek.com (BGG).  Over time, I have enjoyed the interactions with fellow war-gamers and game-designers, and have re-posted some of the reviews I have written here.  They were well-received, for the most part.  I liked the interface of the site, so much so that for several years I have even donated during their annual fund-drive.  

That has now come to an end. 

For some time now, there have been signs that BGG was going the way of the "woke," banning some long time users and even well-known game developers for comments the current Twitteratti consider 'hate speech' (i.e. anything outside of the Newspeak of the Left).  


When the original, cool logo (top) became the weird, abstract entity below in order to foster "inclusiveness," you knew the end was coming...


Over the past year, the Admins have fallen all over themselves furthering the cause of Cultural Marxism, plastering the intro pages with virtue signals during "Black History Month," "Pride Month," and all the other pseudo-religious holiday cycles celebrated by Marxist marionettes.  During that time I held my tongue, for I was there to enjoy wargaming discussions, not debate ideological cheerleaders.  

Today, however, I reached a limit, and I spoke out in a forum about the recent brouhaha surrounding the "refounded" TSR and one of its founders, Eddie Gygax, Jr. (son of the great E. Gary Gygax, original creator of Dungeons & Dragons).   When one poster called him a "bigot" for taking the very logical position that neither man nor woman can change their sex just by saying so, I spoke up and responded, "Yes, who would've thought anybody would take the logically-supported, scientific position that changing your sex just by declaring yourself "X" didn't actually make it so?"  Someone had to have reported me (probably the fool who called Gygax a bigot, since he didn't get banned), because within an hour I had been permanently banned from posting comments on BGG.  Here is my appeal of the decision, and the response of the upper management of the site:

Blake Lindsey

Jun 28, 2021, 11:14 CST

I have just been notified that I have been permanently banned from posting of any sort on BGG. I would like to know why. While the "offending" post in question tended to the political, there was nothing objectively false or offensive about it. The equally-political post above mine, referring to Eddie Gygax as a "bigot" for denying the objectively false premise that individuals can change their biological sex simply by stating they are doing so, was *not* removed. Is there a double-standard in play, or was I banned by the personal bias of the Admin who made the call? I don't know, but I would like a justification for it.
My contributions to BGG have always been intelligent reviews, discussions, and occasional criticisms of games and game design, and they have always been well-received. I have supported the site through contributions, because I think it is a great forum for gamers and designers both. I ask that you restore my posting privileges, or at least limit the time-frame of the ban if you insist on maintaining it.
Respectfully,
Blake H. Lindsey


Matthew M. (BoardGameGeek, LLC)

Jun 28, 2021, 11:18 CST

Hi Blake,

Our moderator team has decided that your recent comment conflicts with the values of our community - that is why your account has been permanently suspended. I understand this is a frustrating outcome, but we believe it is best for everyone involved to part ways completely in terms of forum participation.

-Matthew M.
(Octavian)
Community Manager
BoardGameGeek.com
RPGgeek.com
VideoGameGeek.com


So, no justification was offered other than "We don't like what you said," and for my apparent thoughtcrime I have been prevented (permanently) from doing anything other than spectate---no more reviews, comments, discussions with designers, or posting game mods.  I doubt I will be on there much, anymore, as there is little point.  ConsimWorld and The Armchair Dragoons are better sites for wargamers, in any case.  

UPDATE

I decided it was time for BGG and I to go our separate ways.  I pulled all of my reviews, then posted the following letter:

Blake Lindsey
Tue 6/29/2021 7:48 AM
To: BoardGameGeek, LLC

Matthew:

In answer to the form letter you sent a mere two minutes after I posted my appeal, I find I agree with you: I most definitely do not share the "values of the community," since logic and actual tolerance are not among them.
Over the last two years, I have seen numerous long-time users and designers either silenced by a ban such as mine, or leave for reasons of conscience in the face of increasing politicization of the site in favor of the so-called "woke." I now count myself among them, and I will be deleting my account within minutes of this posting.



I did so; everything is gone.  It is a shame, but it was time to take another stand against those forces that are striving to destroy the fabric of American culture and government.  Like so much else on the Net these days, BGG is in the hands of people who view culture and language as weapons, and have no desire to embrace classical Live-and-Let-Live liberalism.  So be it.  

I took my stance in the Cold Civil War we now find ourselves some time ago, and this is just another skirmish.  

4 comments:

  1. Wow. That site is an absolute joke these days. It has fallen to O'Sullivans law. Hard. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=O%E2%80%99Sullivan%E2%80%99s%20Law

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. When you look at the mods, they are all LGBT activists, etc. One even had a micro-badge for "I Love Greta Thunberg." The whole place is "woke" and becoming more repressive of free speech by the day.

      Delete
  2. This is disappointing news and not surprising due my recent experience of having a post deleted immediately for “derailing” the topic when my post merely followed on from a previous post that is apparently not “derailing”. I suspect that most likely my content mentioning that “science” that does not result from the hard work of the scientific method should not be “followed”, was the real issue.

    I had been using the site to search info on war games and some lighter games for play with my wife and occasionally guests. I will begin seeking other outlets (like with a great many things these days).

    ReplyDelete
  3. They’ve gone insane at that website. I’ve also been censored and banned for having a similar viewpoint. Of course, I’ve simply created a fake account to be able to access various user content. At some point this war of words is going to go beyond words.

    ReplyDelete