Saturday, March 20, 2021

Retired in Newman, CA: Model 1890 7” Siege Howitzer

 Although not of naval origin, this piece is rather unusual and worth taking notice of.  


In Pioneer Park in the small, West San Joaquin Valley town of Newman, CA, I found this rather striking piece of artillery.  I had never seen one like it, but, using the markings on the piece, itself, I was able to find out what it is.  Like most complex machines, a artillery piece is a sum of components, chiefly the gun barrel and the carriage.




The barrel is a Model 1890 breech-loading 7” rifled siege howitzer. It was produced at Watervliet Arsenal, NY in 1900, and is #39 of those produced. The trunnion is marked “B.A. & I. Co. Steel Model 1890”; I have been unable to trace the steel manufacturer.



The carriage is a Model 1893 manufactured at Rock Island Arsenal, IL in 1901, and was #38 of those produced.  Presumably, the weapon also had its final assembly at Rock Island.  

Although I have been unable to trace any of the history of this piece so far, it can be assumed that it never saw combat.  The gun was extant at the time of the First World War, but it was far too heavy to have been used as field artillery; the barrel, alone, is almost two tons (3,710 pounds, as marked.)  The carriage would probably add at least another ton, by my estimation, so this is not a gun to be towed around frequently. 


The gun required 6 horses to tow.

This weapon was designed to be used with fortifications, with its height allowing it to be fired over an embrasure while allowing the crew to remain behind cover.  As far as I have been able to determine, these guns were produced until at least 1913, and possibly after.  



I will post updates on this weapon if I discover anything more about it. 


(Historical images courtesy of the National Archives)




No comments:

Post a Comment